The basics of diamond buying can seemingly apply to all different types and colours of diamonds, however they actually vary quite a bit. In this article, we’ll be focusing on the yellow diamond, which is known to be the most common and natural coloured diamond, however, it is distinctly unique in it’s own right.
The density of nitrogen gives the diamond its yellow colour, which can vary from light to very intense. Within the rainbow of naturally coloured diamonds, yellow is the most common, but the reality is that about 1 in every 16,500 carats mined, is a yellow diamond. So, it is quite a unique and rare diamond. In saying this, it is not hard to see why a yellow diamond would make a perfect rock of choice for a custom engagement ring.
With all the subtle variations of a brilliant and striking yellow hue to a yellow diamond engagement ring, uniqueness would never be an issue.
Here are some fun facts about yellow diamonds:
- Yellow diamonds are also know as Canary Yellow Diamonds and were once thought to be inferior to its white counterpart.
- Intense fancy yellow diamonds or Canary Diamonds are now the most rare and valuable of the yellow diamonds.
- It is estimated that only 1/10 of 1 percent of diamonds mined have an intense yellow colour, these are mostly found in South Africa.
- Yellow diamonds come in all shapes and sizes including round, oval, cushion cut, asscher cut, princess cut and more. You will never find any two diamonds the same, each yellow diamond is unique in shape.
- In modern times, due to the potential for a price increase, we are encountering more and more people investing in yellow diamonds rather than gold.
- The popularity of yellow diamond engagement rings is increasing as more and more celebrities are wearing them. Including Kate Winslet, Natalie Portman, Kelly Clarkson and our very own home grown Iggy Azalea.
So whether you want to opt for a fancy yellow diamond (most common) which has a clear yellow hue, a deep yellow diamond (one step up), canary diamond (most sought after) or an extremely rare vivid yellow diamond – a stone with almost double the value of a standard coloured yellow diamond, you can rest assured you will be getting something special and something unique, particularly if your purpose is for a custom engagement ring.
Yellow diamond engagement rings can be a stunning and beautiful choice for your loved one, so be sure not to put aside the option of something gold, in favour of the more common clear diamond colours. With the return of yellow gold bands into popularity, we are sure the yellow diamond stone will not be too far behind in its return to fashion trending.
Armans can help you find the perfect yellow diamond for your ring or jewellery. Visit our website at www.armansfinejewellery.com to see our collection or visit our Sydney CBD boutique for a custom designed solution.